Thursday, August 22, 2013

Back to school

As I sip my Thursday noontime coffee... I reflect on my first week of #teaching. 

My two online classes are just getting going, however my first moment of triumph is the huge success of the Ucf Library "OneSearch" tutorial I build for the opening module: student feedback to this was great - a keeper, which I am willing to share with any other faculty wanting to use it... it quickly walks them through the painless process of finding current, scholarly, full text journal resources in the database. 

My Tuesday night family class is going to be fun and rewarding... a great mix of returning students and brand new faces... the teams are built in a family hierarchy with a matriarch leader (the four students who are on the cusp of graduation happened to be women) two to three "teens" (students who are in the middle of the program and can have greater expectations put on them by their head of household) and two to three "kids" who are the novice stage of their communication studies and while they must "do as they are told" by their leader they have the luxury of not being responsible for the development of the process... 

And then there is Wednesday night, face to face, Human Relations... 160+ students on the main campus.... Last night was the warm up, the stretch, the locker room pump-up speech. It was, breathtakingly rewarding... what an amazing group of young scholars - hungry for learning, excited to be challenged... did I mention that not a one of them has been in a class with me before? I am very, very excited to watch this unfold... 

So, it is looking good... and I continue to be blessed to get to walk into my profession each day... we do great work at #ucfnsc, and I am honored to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment