Friday, February 7, 2014

My almost paleo life: Cauliflower "bread" with chicken sausage

It all started when I saw this bag of Cauliflower Florets in my fridge. I would be going out of town so I needed to eat it, and while I love roasted cauliflower.... I just wasn't in the mood. I have made Cauliflower mashed potatoes before, but that didn't feel right, and then I remembered a recipe I had seen for mock "bread" sticks.

So out came the cutting board and my good chefs knife. While my oven heated to 450 degrees I chopped the florets into a fine consistency, patted it dry, and put it in the food processor until it showed a mashed potato like consistency. 



I did not remember the exact seasonings the original recipe called for - but seasonings are a matter of taste. What I did know is I needed 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and two beaten eggs. 

I chose to use 1/4 cup Cheddar and 1/4 cup Parmesan.... and also 2 cloves of minced garlic, some cracked black pepper, a pinch of salt, and a generous teaspoon of red pepper flakes. I realized now I was mimicking the flavors I enjoy in focaccia bread! 


The "dough" was then mixed into a ball, and spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. The thickness of the dough will impact tenderness of the "bread" after baking. 

I should note here that you could just spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray - but my time in culinary school made me partial to always cooking with parchment paper. 

The formed dough went into the fully heated oven for 17 minutes, until the top was golden brown. 


I cut the bread with a pizza cutter into slice and while it was cooling just slightly, heated a fajita seasoned chicken sausage. 

Paired together this was a delicious combination, a small arugula salad would be a wonderful addition as well. The "bread" was gone before my sausage and I decided to get another slice. The best part is I could do this guilt free because the whole pie has only 420 calories... 


This is one I will make again, and would be wonderful for a girls luncheon. I will play with the spices and seasonings, as well as the cheeses I use. I know the dairy keeps this from being true paleo... however it is a great alternative than bread! 

Feel free to let me know how this turns out if you decide to make it in your own kitchen, and what masterpieces your medications produce! 

Here is to another day of happy healthy eating, and remembering to always #postthepositive parts of our lives! 

***** dinner time update!!!! You might wonder "but how will it reheat????" I just threw on a touch more cheese, some mini turkey pepperoni... And put it under the broiler for a few minutes and my "paleo pizza" was to die for! 





2 comments:

  1. that looks yummy im going to try it thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Della! let me know if you add your own twist! I am thinking it would be amazing with onion and rosemary!

      Delete